Home| Journals | Statistics Online Expert | About Us | Contact Us

    About this Journal  | Table of Contents

[Abstract] [PDF] [HTML] [Linked References]

International Journal of Recent Trends in Science and Technology, ISSN 2277-2812 E-ISSN: 2249-8109

Volume 12, Issue 1, September 2014 pp 114-117

Research Article

Study on the awareness on diabetic foot care among care givers of patients with diabetes

Kumar Kenchetty*, Peter George**

*Resident, **Professor, Department of Medicine, Father Muller Medical College, Father Muller Road, Mangalore-575002, Karnataka, INDIA.

Background: The prevalence of foot ulcers in patients with diabetes is high and amongst its commonest complications. Lack of awareness on foot care is the most importance reason for its occurrence. Aim: To assess the awareness on foot care among caregivers of patients with diabetic foot ulcers. Materials and Methods: Patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes were included in the study. Knowledge regarding foot care was assessed using a questionnaire containing fifteen‘yes/no’ response questions. Caregivers were regarded as having good knowledge if they scored 11-15, satisfactory if 7-10 and poor if < 7‘yes’ responses. Results: A total of 33 subjects were included in the study. Among these caregivers 21(63.6%) had poor knowledge, 11(33.3%) had satisfactory knowledge and just 1(3%) had good knowledge on diabetic foot care. All respondents with literacy level 10th standard and above (27%) had satisfactory or good knowledge; however only 3 among the remaining 73% of caregivers had satisfactory knowledge. About 88.8% of patients with income > Rs 12000/month (n=9) had satisfactory or good awareness, while only 16% of the remaining patients (n=24) had satisfactory knowledge on foot care practices. Conclusion: The overall awareness regarding foot care among caregivers of diabetic patients is poor (38%). Both literacy and financial status of patients had a positive correlation with awareness. Health programs directed towards foot care targeting the underprivileged section of society might help reduce foot complications in diabetes.