Home| Journals | Statistics Online Expert | About Us | Contact Us

    About this Journal  | Table of Contents

[Abstract] [PDF] [HTML] [Linked References]

International Journal of Recent Trends in Science and Technology, ISSN 2277-2812 E-ISSN: 2249-8109

Volume 12, Issue 2, September 2014 pp 256-258

Research Article

A histopathological review of scalp tumors: Hospital based study

J B Leena1, M B Sandeep2, Crysle Saldanha1, Megha3, Krishnaprasad H V3

{1Assistant Professor, 3PG Students, Department of Pathology} {2Assistant Professor, Department of Radio diagnosis}

Father Muller Medical College, Kankanady Road, Kankanady, Mangalore, 575002. Karnataka, INDIA.



Background: Lesions of the scalp are rare comprise a heterogeneous assemblage varying from benign to malignant. The clinical experience regarding these rare lesions is limited .Hence there is corresponding paucity of data in the medical literature regarding the incidence and prevalence of scalp lesions with an extremely wide range of pathology appearances. This study is intended to determine the distribution of both benign and malignant lesions. Materials and Methods: This is a 2 year (2010‑2012) retrospective study of all scalp lesions received at our referral teaching hospital, Father Muller medical college, Mangalore, India. All the histopathologically proven cases of scalp lesions were reviewed and clinical details were obtained from the archives. Age, gender, and histology of all the specimens were evaluated Results: Among the 45 cases, 39 (87%)) cases were benign lesions and remaining 6 (13%) were malignant lesions. Most common clinical presentation was a scalp swelling or a nodule. The male to female ratio among the benign tumors was 1.5:1. Age distribution in benign lesions was 20-40 years whereas malignant lesions were seen in the elderly. Trichelemmal cyst was the most common benign lesion and basal cell carcinoma was the most common malignant lesion. Conclusion: Scalp lesions are rare, benign tumors are more common and malignant tumors are not uncommon. In each case of a scalp lesion a broad differential diagnosis has to be considered. Improved clinical experience and hospital attendance with more comprehensive reporting would yield more representative data.