Home| Journals | Statistics Online Expert | About Us | Contact Us

    About this Journal  | Table of Contents

[Abstract] [PDF] [HTML] [Linked References]

International Journal of Recent Trends in Science and Technology, ISSN 2277-2812 E-ISSN: 2249-8109

Volume 6, Issue 1, Febraury 2013 pp 43-47

Research Article

The Study of Variation of Structures in Hepatoduodenal Ligament and Its Co-Relation with Surgical Anatomy of Liver Transplantation


Kalyankar A. G.1, Shingare P. H.2, Diwan C. V.3, Kawale D. N.4

{1Assistant professor, 3Professor and Head, 4Senior Resident} Department of Anatomy, Govt. Medical College, Aurangabad (MS) INDIA.

2Director, Medical Education & Research, St. George Hospital Compound, 4th floor, Govt. Dental College Bldg, Mumbai (MS) INDIA.


Academic Editor : Dr. Aher K.R.


Variations in biliary tree and its associated vascular elements are very frequent, hence it is important to identify major structures in this area before surgery is attempted, because injury to these structures may result in troublesome hemorrhage and subsequent injury to common bile duct or hepatic ducts or even the inadevarant ligation to the right or common hepatic arteries results into hepatic infarction, necrosis or so called liver death. Similarly variations in duct system can be basis of serious and fatal complications. Hence the study of variations in hepatic pedicle is of interest to both surgeons and anatomist.The present study was undertaken to evaluate the presentation of types and frequency of variations of structures in hepatic pedicle. Aim was to study hepatoduodenal ligament for its morphology, contents and variation of its contents and to co-relate its importance in liver transplantation.A total of 100 cadavers were dissected as per the routine method with routine instruments. The hepatoduodenal ligament was dissected and its contents were followed towards the portahepatis. The branching pattern of hepatic artery and portal vein as well as morphology of extra hepatic biliary system was noted. After collecting the data, statistical analysis was done.Results showed the normal branching pattern of proper hepatic artery in 86% cadavers and remaining 14% cadavers had variations were of 3 types. The branching pattern of portal vein was normal in 56% cadavers while a variation in branching pattern of portal vein was seen in 44% cadavers.The draining pattern of extra hepatic biliary drainage system was normal in 90% cadavers and its variants were seen in 10% of cadavers. The number of cadavers having all 3 structures in normal pattern was 43% of cadavers only.The study shows significant frequency of variations in the anatomy of contents of hepatoduodenal ligament. Hence a detailed study of these structures is warranted before and during hepatic transplant procedures to avoid post operative complications such as biliary ischemia, stricture or hemorrhage.